The Madras Railway Company continued to manage the railway line on behalf of the government for a long time until the South Indian Railway company purchased it.
Initially, Coonoor was the final station on the line. In September 1908, the line was extended to Fernhill. By October 15, 1908, it was extended to Udagmandalam. These extensions from Coonoor on the same gauge over a distance of 11 and 3/4 miles were done at a cost of Rs. 24,40,000/-.