#champagne then to our lunch wines at Les Avises. People put me into charge of selecting wines. I decided that we should go only for magnums because we had +20 people. First one
JL Vergnon Eloquence one those places who I have visited so often that you what you get. Fresh and good start.
Marie-Noelle Ledru 2005 we have had quite often Ledru at Les Avises and I picked it again because I was going to visit her in the afternoon. Nice bit mature apple and usual older Ledru character.
Domaine Guiberteau Clos Des Carmes 2007 Saumur. I didn’t pick this one but I was looking at it very long time from the list. It was chosen by @r.zysset very good choice.
Diebolt-Vallois Blanc de Blancs I picked this up for dessert because it is bit sweeter and m have bit more fruitiness. Easy choice. #lesavises#lunch#magnum#jlvergnon#marienoelleledru#domaineguiberteau#dieboltvallois#champagneweek#leprintempsdeschampagnes#lategram
Thank you again @champagnegreenhat
I order the Crepes and Cones Burger. Great value for the portion size and the chargrilled burger was really good. The black brioche bun is just for decoration it doesn't taste of anything aside from bread... literally. 😭😂 Second time I've been here and it was fun, the food was good and the service was very good. Really good place to take kids. .
#champagne great visit and tasting at Marie-Noelle Ledru in Ambonnay. According to Peter Liem ”she is one of Ambonnay’s finest grower-producers” and I totally agree. Now she is retired (last vintage 2016) but we had possibility to visit there last Friday afternoon. We tasted few wines in her livingroom and after some hours we went to cellar where she opened two bottles for us à la volée. You can swipe to see videos of those.
I find often her wines hint of oxidation and some notes of mature apple. I tried to figure out why it is so because is not using any oak but it is still a mystery for me. I like that style so it is not a problem for me but it would have been very nice figure it out. We started with
Extra Brut (base 2013 85 PN 15 Ch zero dosage) on palate apple, oxidation and salinity,
Brut (base 2014 85 PN 15 Ch 4 g/l)
Apple, creamines, bit oxidation, salinity and toffee. Good powerful and giving wine
Vintage 2010 Brut Nature Degorged few days before. Smokiness, apple, salinity and powerful. Good wine
Blanc de Noirs Cuvee du Goulte 2013 powerful rich mature apple, salinity and butter. Good and nicely opening up in the glass.
2010 Brut Nature from magnum green apple, salinity, powerful, creaminess, salinity and butter. Good one also.
After those to bottles which opened à la volée
Blanc de Blancs 2004 smokiness, fresh apple, soft citrus, creaminess and salinity. Very seducing great wine. Wow (first video)
Rose 2016 from her last harvest on palate lingonberry, red cherries and salinity. Good wine. (Second video) #marienoelleledru#ambonnay#àlavolée#lategram
Staying in a different area means seeking out new places (and our usual spot ended their breakfast service at 11:30am).
• We discovered a number of little cafes in Causeway Lane just off Bourke Street mall.
• This painting suggested France to me but I discovered that “insieme” means “together” in Italian. And isn’t coffee and food what brings so many of us together? .
• Started with nice hot coffees. I love cafes that serve coffees with mismatched block-coloured mugs and saucers. There’s something so free-ing and cheery about the presentation—almost random or unexpected. Just like life!
• I opted for the veggie omelette. The spinach and mushroom was fried with the egg, and then the egg wrapped around a filling of spinach, mushrooms and tomatoes. It was nice but not what I expected. I was expecting cheese and only on re-reading the menu, I’ve discovered there wasn’t cheese in this omelette. It was probably very healthy but I found it a little dry.
• Hubby opted for the salmon omelette. The egg wrap included cheese, spinach and mushroom. The filling included smoked salmon, mushroom, spinach, caramelised onion and avocado. .
• Another mural in the cafe.